Mini Reviews | Graphic Novels

For a while now I've had this idea of writing mini reviews on books, grouped by certain criteria, like Russian or Czech literature, short stories, memoirs etc. So today I'll be reviewing graphic novels!


Smile by Raina Telgemeier
My rating ★★★★

Based on true life experience of the author. Raina is about to get braces and she’s not happy about it. But wait, it gets worse! One evening she accidentally trips and knocks out her two front teeth. The novel also deals with many other problems like friendship and bullying. As simple as it may seem, the story is truly heart wrenching.


Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
My rating ★★★★

Anya is a Russian girl who immigrated to the USA with her mom and little brother. She is a normal teenager with regular teenage problems. Friends, boys, popularity. One day she falls down a well and meets a ghost of a girl named Emily, who died almost a hundred years ago. Well, actually she was murdered. Anya befriends Emily and promises to help her solve the mystery of her murder.


Chicken with Plums by Marjane Satrapi
My rating ★★★★★

Ever since I’ve read Persepolis I really wanted to read something else by Marjane Satrapi. So I was really excited when I finally got my hands on Chicken with Plums. For whatever reason, I thought that it was a story for kids, and oh was I wrong! Based on the life of Marjane’s relative, it narrates the last days of a talented musician Nasser Ali Khan. One day Nasser gets into an argument with his wife, who cruel heartedly breaks his beloved tar, which is a traditional Iranian musical instrument. Nasser tries to replace his instrument, but other tars just don’t sound right. Devastated, Nasser decides that he has no more meaning in life, so he lays in bed waiting for death. Over the course of the next eight days he reminiscences on his life and how he has come to his current situation. I don't always cry over books, but this one broke my heart into myriad pieces.

Which of these have you read? What other great graphic novels would you recommend? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular Posts