Favorite Books of 2017. Part 1

This was this weeks theme at Top Ten Tuesdays hosted by The Broke and the Bookish but I only saw it today (I have way too many unread blog posts in my rss feed). I've decided to still post my list and sum up my 2017 reading. So here it is!

My name is Marina by Marina Tsvetaeva


My rating ★★★★


It literally took me years to finish this 180-page book but that's because I like to take my time with poetry, especially if it's good. This is a collection of selected poems written by Marina Tsvetaeva in the years 1908-1939. It was quite interesting to see the author's style change over the years. Her first poems are naive and lighthearted and we can see her grow up and mature through her poetry. Most of the poems are about the struggles of love but I've also quite enjoyed her emigrant poetry in the later years, specifically the poems that she addressed to her son.


Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon


My rating ★★★★


This is a great book for all artists alike that gives some insight on the artistic process and offers a lot of great advice. The book is very enjoyable both visually and informatively.






War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy


My rating ★★★★


I listened to the audio version of this book over the course of a few months and immediately fell in love with Tolstoy's style. It's a bit funny because I've already read about one-third of Anna Karenina a few years back and even though I still liked it listening to the book was a completely different experience. War and Peace is one of the best classics known there is. This story is frighteningly long and incredibly fun. There's humor and tragedy, a lot of action-packed scenes and way too many characters to remember them all. And it ends with a 30-page philosophical essay. What is there not to love?


Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris


My rating ★★★★


This was another one of David Sedaris's essay collections on my reading list. Brilliant and funny as usual. Sedaris mostly writes about his family and this book was not an exception. It even says so in the title. It took me a while to get through it but I still enjoyed reading this book.






Maria by Ulas Samchuk


My rating ★★★★

(on Goodreads)

This is a story of the life of one woman in Ukraine that start's at the end of the XIX century and till the Holodomor of 1932-1933 also known as the Great Famine. Maria had a long and complicated life. She lived through many hardships, fell in and out of love, made many mistakes. Maria wasn't always a likable character but she finally settled down and for a moment it seemed like she too can have a peaceful quiet life and spend the last of her years surrounded by her loving family. But the communists had other plans.


At this point, I got too lazy to write the rest of the mini-reviews so there will be a part two which I will post in a couple of days (or whenever I get it done).

What were your favorite books that you've read in 2017?

Comments

Popular Posts