Rice baked with apples (almost step-by-step recipe)

Here's the promised recipe of Rice baked with apples from that old Polish book, I've mentioned in the previous post. I actually combined two different recipes, because I wanted it to be a subtly sweet and milky rice dessert with apples. I've found two recipes of baked rice in that cookbook. One was with apples, but no milk or eggs, and the other was rice baked with eggs and raisins (I didn't have any) but no apples.


So here is the recipe, I've come up with.


Rice baked with apples


Ingredients
200 g rice
20 g butter
2 eggs
100 g sugar
salt
2 tbsp sour-cream (replaced with home-made plain yogurt)
2 apples
butter and bread crumbs or flour for dusting the pan
Instructions

1. I've started with cooking the rice. I used pre-packed steamed rice, because it's very easy to cook. I just put two packages of rice in boiling slightly salted water and set up my timer for 20 minutes. By the time it was done, something work related came up, so I only had time to pull the rice packages out of the water and leave them in the drainer to cool.


2. Here are all the ingredients ready to get mixed. It's really simple. I started doing this step-by-step recipe thing, but now I've realised, there aren't that many steps to begin with. Combine eggs with sugar and butter. Add a pinch of salt and two tablespoons of home-made yogurt. Find a spare minute to grate the apples. And then put everything into the bowl with rice and mix it all up.


3. Grease the pan with butter, sprinkle with flour. Pour in your rice mixture and it's ready to go into the oven for 40 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius. You probably can see from the picture (or maybe not), that I was making adjustments to the recipe while I was cooking.


Look who's helping!


4. After 40 minutes in the oven the rice was done, but I left it in there to cool.


And here is the final result! Subtly sweet and not too overwhelming in taste. I was very happy with the nicely balanced out flavours, because I'm not a big fan of baked apples. I like them, but don't love them. Also I didn't want the rice to be too moist, so I've squeezed the excess juice from the grated apples, but you don't really have to do that.


It's really good as it is, but you can also try topping it with some jam or syrup.


Yummy!

Comments

Popular Posts