Spreading Myself Thin

previously published on my Halcja's Place blog

I think I've already mentioned before on this blog that I have way too many projects for my own good. I have many hobbies and interests. I like to keep my mind busy. But all this comes at a cost. Because I'm trying to juggle too many things at the same time, I oftentimes feel like I'm not succeeding in any of them. This feeling has been especially vivid in the last year or so. I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything. And okay, partly it's because I've been ill for a long time so I haven't always had the energy to do all the things that needed to be done. But because I already had limited energy there was no way I could divide it among my many projects and hobbies.

The same can be said about social media. I engage with different people on different platforms but I can't be active on them all at once. There are not enough hours in the day for that.

Another problem that goes along with this one is that I try to compartmentalize. That's what I'm doing with my blogs right now. That's what I was trying to do with YouTube until their new requirements for the partnership program changed my plans. So I'm abandoning my two smaller YouTube channels for good and keeping the main one.

When it comes to blogs, I want to keep them separate at least for now. I'll keep updating my book review blog throughout this year because of the challenges I've signed up for. I don't think I really need a book blog. Book blogging isn't really my thing. I don't read any of the new releases. Many of the books I enjoy will never be translated into English. And who would want to read about Soviet middle-grade or YA propaganda books anyway? No matter how much I enjoy my guilty pleasure books, you don't need to read about them.

And then there're portfolio blogs for my writing. Right now as I'm thinking about it, I need two of them. One for my fiction and poetry and one for potential clients to post sample articles and links to websites with my published articles or blog posts. But for now, I'll leave both of those hanging in the air and come back to this matter once I have more relative content to post there.

One last thing I wanted to include in this blog post is this illustration from the book Essentialism by Greg McKeown that I obviously need to read.


Comments

Popular Posts