How to read more. A book a day project

I came up with this idea as I was brainstorming for this blog. Now, let me be frank - I'm not the fastest reader out there. Nor the most dedicated reader. I'm prone to hanging onto the same book for months, unable to finish it, but too stubborn to DNF it. More often than not, I've no idea what I want to read. It takes me a while to get into a book, and I've only ever finished a book in a day on one or maybe two occasions. Yet, here we are!

Why read more books faster?

I'd like to change my reading habits and become a more consistent and quality reader. Reading a book a day can't possibly be realistic! Right? Then there's the question of whether consuming so much information in a relatively short time benefits a reader. You won't get the point of the whole story. Will you even enjoy it? And you definitely won't remember a thing of what you've read.

Well, I tend to forget what I've read about no matter how fast or slow I am as a reader. I have a few books I'd like to reread at some point, but if I'm not reading fast enough, I just feel like I'd rather read something new (not necessarily newly published, but new to me). So let's say, this is my first reason for wanting to start reading more and faster.

I want to reread books that I liked in the past

Each time that you're reading a book, you may discover new platitudes to the story. You'll notice things you didn't notice on your first readthrough. It would be nice to experience this with more stories.

I want to expand my horizons

My old university professor had this funny catchphrase about filling up 'gaps in your knowledge'. I remember it even years later, mostly on the days when my imposter syndrome gets particularly bad.

I want to find my next favourite book

As a mood reader, I always find it particularly exciting when a book catches my fancy.

Then, sometimes you just long for that feeling of accomplishment while you are engulfed in a tome and don't expect to see the sight of that last page any time soon.

So, I figured, why not start a new reading challenge to fulfil these ambitions? Of course, this calls for a few ground rules to give me a fair chance.

How to read a book every day?

  1. Pick shorter books. Anything between 150 and 200 pages should be good. This means that it's best to choose short story and poetry collections, novellas and essays.
  2. Prepare your TBR ahead of time. Get rid of decision fatigue and stack up some books to last you a week or two.
  3. Dedicated reading time. You can sneak in a page or two throughout the day to progress towards your goal. However, time blocking can help you get through the story and stick to the goal of a book a day.
  4. Snacks!!! No explanation is necessary here.
That looks like a plan! Now let's read!


Comments

Popular Posts